Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cannes, Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo

Yesterday was a busy day (proof: no posts!).  We ran all over the Cote D'Azur (aren't we fancy? oui oui!) and hit all of the locations above.  Beautiful!  Nice was our favorite by far, with the local market in the morning (only a few amazing photos below), we had lunch consisting of a crepe with ratatouille (Trevor) and I had the croque monsieur (yum) in the Nice town square, across from the courthouse (go figure!).  

We then went to Monaco/Monte Carlo (they're so close you can hardly tell when you cross into the other -- well, Monte Carlo has a famous casino, that's all I noticed).  Monaco is a separate state from France, but France still helps them out with water and power.  We visited the palace, saw the changing of the guard (not guards, there was just one, very underwhelming), and walked around for a bit.  This is where I discovered my first pay toilet (35 euro cents), and also where I found my first toilet without a SEAT.  Ew, ew, ew.  It's as horrible as you can imagine it -- and you pay for it!  Oh my.  I can only hope that's the worst I come across in the toilet department -- I've heard stories of holes in the floor (augh!).  There's culture shock for you hey?

After that we headed back to the ship via Cannes, and saw the film house and the beach again.  Not really much to report on there!

Anywhoo, here's the good stuff -- the photos!  :)

The view from the cliffs of Monaco. (wait...I can see our yacht parked just to the left...LOL!)

One lonely guard.  He's the fresh one.

At the Nice open market...sooooo lovely!

Bundles of peppers at the market.

Walking through the narrow streets of Nice.  Beautiful!

No comments: