
This is a recipe I got out of the latest Kraft freebie magazine that they mail out. I figured I'd give this one a shot.
'Weeknight Roll-up' - Their recipe
Prep: 15 min
Ready In: 40 min
Serves: 6
1 lb. (500 g) lean ground beef
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions (about 1 small)
2/3 cup CHEEZ WHIZ
1 pkg. (235 g) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Cook ground beef, bacon and onions in large skillet on medium-high heat until ground beef is evenly browned, stirring occasionally. Drain; return meat mixture to skillet. Add Cheez Whiz; cook 5 min. or until completely melted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
UNROLL dough onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Press into 14x7-inch rectangle, firmly pressing seams and perforations together to seal. Top evenly with meat mixture. Roll up dough, starting at one of the long sides. Rearrange, if necessary, so roll is seam-side down on baking sheet.
BAKE 20 to 25 min. or until golden brown. Cut diagonally into six slices to serve.
'Weeknight Roll-up' aka 'Meat Log' - My version
I pkg. of ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup mix of leftover bbq sauce and Heinz 57 sauce
1/3 cup of Cheez Whiz (which I was a little hesitant about, 'Cheez Whiz? Are you serious?')
1 pkg. (235 g) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
Same instructions as above, but I made the following mistakes:
1) Unrolled the dough onto the pan at the beginning thinking that it would save me time -- WRONG! It was all warm and gooey by the time the meat mix went on top, making rolling the 'log' up quite difficult.

2) Not putting the 'log' seam-side down. By the time I had managed to roll it into some sort of 'log' shape I was too busy swearing at it to try and flip it again. Not to mention the gooey dough was getting more gooey by the minute (thanks to the hot meat mix on top).

The cooked 'log'

The sliced 'log'

Make again meter:
Trevor - 8 out of 10
Me - 7 out of 10
2 comments:
Your log doesn't look like the picture,hmmm, I see no meat to pastry division.
Tell me about it.
Post a Comment