Monday, October 15, 2007

Coughing, cleaning, working, burning

This sums up the weekend quite nicely. I've got bronchitis (annoying coughing, all the time) which slowed me down on the weekend. I was tired a lot, but coughed my way through it. I've told Trevor I'm going to have an 8-pack stomach by the time I'm finished coughing. I'll be able to crush cans with that stomach. LOL!

We worked on our upcoming install at two Surrey high schools this Friday for their cafeterias, so it was a lot of hands-on labour in the garage, me laminating graphics while Trevor did all the cutting and assembly for signage and locked notice boards. We make everything inhouse, so it's a lot of work to put all of the materials together. We'll be glad when we're done.

The garden was prepared for winter as well. We did some overall cleanup and pruned and trimmed back things. I put in some winter pansies and bulbs for the spring (fancy tulips!). I mowed the lawn...well, more like cursed and yelled at our lame lawnmower. It is time for a new one. The one we have is an electric model (probably circa 1985), is an ugly orange colour and can't suck up grass trimmings if it's life depended on it. I think I could do a better job getting down on all fours and chomping at the grass myself. It has a hard time going through thicker parts of grass (it gets stuck completely and you just hear it whirring down and then CLUNK, doesn't go at all), and when you get to either a sidewalk or flatter area of grass it makes this coughing noise and spits out all the grass that it didn't suck into it's bag (which is all of it). I did our backyard grass, our front lawn, and our neighbour's lawn (although they probably wish I didn't) and the bag was 1/8th full. Trevor says it has a 'mulching' feature, which I say is BS, we need a new lawnmower. Most of the time it's a gong show when I mow the lawn anyways, tripping over the cord, smashing into things, swearing...you get the picture. I'm probably the neighbourhood entertainment.

But, my crappy mowing was one-uppped by Trevor, who did the winter fertilizer, AND who probably burned all of our backyard grass in the process. There are little white mountains out there right now, and if you close your eyes and listen you can hear the slow sizzle of grass. At least the front yard will be okay, it's only got 1/4 of the bag on it. (It's quite funny because it's usually me who messes up the grass and burns it. ha haaaaaa!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No blog entries in 5 days? What the?? *tapping fingers*

Kerry said...

I know, I know. I'm having a blogging cramp at the moment.